Ensuring HVAC systems are operating per the design
INDEPENDENT THIRD PARTY COMMISSIONING FOR IMPARTIAL RESULTS
Today’s facilities are more complex and are often controlled utilizing a large array of data analytics. IEA’s third party ventilation system commissioning agents have in-depth knowledge of building control systems needed to verify new construction projects; independent third party commissioning is the consulting process of ensuring your building’s ventilation systems are operating properly per the design. IEA’s experts are a 3rd party to the design and construction teams. HVAC commissioning is recognized as a vital process needed during the design, installation, and operation of ventilation systems for all types of buildings.
Since IEA is not an MEP design firm, we are able to provide completely independent HVAC commissioning for the owner without conflicts of interest. We are advocates for successful ventilation system installation and operation verification, closeout of project issues logs, and inform building owners/operators on their new systems. Our team consists of licensed and professional mechanical engineers and certified commissioning agents.
Be confident in your new ventilation system installation
OUR HVAC COMMISSIONING SERVICES
The commissioning process typically begins during the project design and continues through a one-year warranty period. The priority is to ensure that the systems are designed, installed, and functioning as the owner intended.
- Working with the design team as a resource
- Witnessing equipment operation during installation and start-up and managing issues logs
- Working with the controls contractor to ensure the installed system operates as designed
- Verification and oversight of the testing, adjusting, and balancing process
- Training oversight for operations and maintenance on the new systems
The commissioning process provides the owner confidence that the systems meet code requirements and improve indoor air quality conditions for employees and occupants. Building owners and operators will have assistance and documentation of how the new ventilation systems are operating and support for issue resolution.
B3 Benchmarking for Minnesota Commissioning Projects
At IEA, we provide B3 energy consulting services for commissioning projects to comply with the B3 energy guidelines. What is B3? B3 stands for Building, Benchmarks, and Beyond. B3 benchmarking is funded by the MN Department of Commerce and Administration and aims to reduce energy costs for public building owners by providing accessible and transparent insight into their building’s energy consumption.
The B3 Guidelines can be applied to the design of new buildings or renovations to meet sustainability goals for the site, water, energy, indoor environment, materials, and waste. The B3 Guidelines are required on all projects that receive general obligation bond funding from the State of Minnesota, and voluntarily. Our B3 energy consulting services help building owners comply with the guidelines and provide required documentation.
Our Ventilation System Commissioning Standards
- Knowledge of HVAC systems, control strategies, installation, operations, and maintenance
- Experience in controls for HVAC systems, including familiarity with current technology, both conventional and direct-digital control
- Practical field construction background
- Demonstrated ability to organize many specific activities into a coherent commissioning plan
- Communications skills, both written and verbal
- Proficiency in documentation
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Familiarity with testing and balancing
Our Current Commissioning Agent Qualifications
- BCxA Certified Commissioning Professional (CCP).
- American Society of Heating and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Licensed Mechanical Engineer (PE)
Commissioning Client Examples
- Public Schools
- Colleges and Universities
- County and City Facilities
- Medical Centers
- Public Utilities
- Commercial Properties