At the Institute for Environmental Assessment Inc. (IEA), we offer environmental consulting services related to the management of asbestos in schools and other public and commercial buildings throughout the United States. It was frequently used in building materials because it is resistant to heat, electricity and chemicals.
Unfortunately, when disturbed, asbestos releases fibers into the air and can cause serious illness such as asbestosis, mesothelioma and lung cancer. Asbestos-containing building materials, when left in place, must be inspected and monitored frequently to determine their condition.
IEA has been providing environmental consulting and management services since 1984. During those years, the firm has undertaken numerous asbestos-related projects for clients such as school districts, hospitals, government agencies and commercial entities. Projects typically involve some or all of the following services:
- Inspecting. Sample and inventory asbestos-containing building materials to determine the extent and type of asbestos within the building. A proper inspection requires the investigation of all potential sources of asbestos. Our staff includes EPA and state certified, asbestos inspectors.
- Planning. Develop an Operations and Maintenance (O & M) plan for managing identified asbestos-containing materials (ACM). Plan details typically include provisions for training; notification of tenants, occupants and employees; abatement procedures; and record keeping.
- Project design. Determine scope of work and develop project specifications including engineering controls, removal procedures, disposal, insurance and bonding
- Management. Coordination of pre-bid conference, review contractor submissions, references and qualifications. Project management prior to and for the duration of the asbestos abatement project. Develop and submit final closeout and documentation
- Air monitoring. Onsite monitoring to include monitoring by a state-certified asbestos site supervisor. Collection of required duration and clearance air sampling. Documentation of on-site abatement activities